1. My hands are small. Please don’t expect perfection whenever I make a bed, draw a picture or throw a ball.
2. My eyes have not seen the world as you have. Please let me explore it at my own level without unnecessary restrictions.
3. Housework, office work. It’ll always be there, but I will be little only for a short time. Please take time to explain about this wonderful world.
4. My feelings are tender. Please be sensitive to my needs. Treat me as you would like to be treated.
5. I am a special gift from God. Treasure me as God intended-holding me accountable for my actions, giving me guidelines to love by and disciplining me in a loving manner.
6. I need your encouragement to grow, so go easy on the criticism. Try to correct my behavior without criticizing me as a person.
7. Give me the freedom to make decisions. Permit me to fail, so I can learn from my mistakes. Then I’ll be prepared to make the kind of decisions life requires of me as an adult.
8. Please don’t do jobs over that I have done. When you do, it makes me feel that my efforts don’t quite measure up to your expectations. I know it’s hard, but please don’t compare me with my brother or sister.
9. Please don’t be afraid to leave for a weekend together. Kids need a vacation from parents, just as parents need to get away occasionally.
10. Please set a good example by taking me to church. We all need some sort of religious education.
Courtesy of Judge John D. Montgomery